Chisapani Nagarkot Trek is a short trek around Kathmandu valley. Chisapani Nagarkot is for those who are short in time but still want to witness beautiful natural views along with panoramic mountain views. Chisapani Nagarkot Trek starts from Sundarijal which is approx. 45 minutes drive from Kathmandu. In the beginning the trail takes you to the Shivapuri National Park through a big watershed. Chisapani Nagarkot Trek offers beautiful nature through village walk experience, eye catching panoramic mountain views of Mount Manaslu, Ganesh Himal, Langtang Himal, Gaurishankar Himal and we can even spot Mount Everest. You can have amazing sunrise and sunset view from Chisapani and Nagarkot along with snowcapped mountains. The Nagarkot Village lies on the edge of the valley and offers superb views of the mountains as well as Kathmandu valley. Witnessing Early sunrise view at Nagarkot is the most fascinating and exciting to watch. Then you will walk down through the village to the oldest temple Changu Narayan which is also listed under UNESCO world heritage site. Exploring around the famous and ancient Bhaktapur Durbar Square is a lifetime experience with ancient temples, palaces, art, tradition preserved at its best.
Chisapani Nagarkot Trek takes you through typical Nepalese countryside and exposes you to the various ethnic groups of Nepal.
Meals: Breakfast+lunch+ dinner
Difficulty Level: Easy
Starting point: Sundarijal
Max altitude : 2300 m.
Best time: September-November and March-May.
Activities: lodge/Tea House.
Trek duration: 2 nights and 3 Days.
Highlights of the Trek
- Historical and religious World heritage sightseeing in Kathmandu.
- Walk through the old Tamang Village and dense forest with bird watching on the way.
- Visiting the world heritage site Changu Narayan temple.
- Exploring around Bhaktapur Durbar Square.
- Significant Himalaya Panorama view from East Mt. Everest to west Dhaulagiri.
- Sunrise and sunset from Nagarkot.
Day 01: Kathmandu - Chisapani(2115 m), 4-5 hours walk.
Drive to Sundarijal from Kathmandu which takes approx 45 from kathmandu. We observe huge watershed and sundarijal waterfall on the way. After few Steps we enter shivapuri National Park, which is a good spot for bird watching. We pass by Tamang village on the way to Chisapani. After 4-5 hours of hike from Mulkharka we finally reach Chisapani and stay overnight in lodge.
Day 02: Chisapani - Nagarkot (2195 m ), 7-8 hours wak
After having breakfast at the lodge, we start our hike to Nagarkot. The trial passes mostly through national park. We descend down to jhule for lunch and take a short break. Then we continue our walk to Nagarkot.Nagarkot is a hill top which offers stunning sunrise and sunset along with mountain peaks which offers unmatched scenery.
Day 03: Hike from Nagarkot to changunarayan and Drive to Kathmandu:
After waking up in Nagarkot and having a breakfast in hotel, we walk 3 hours down to changunarayan, a UNESCO world heritage site and drive to Bhaktapur to explore stunning Bhaktapur Durbar Square and view old cultural heritages and temples around. After visiting around Bhaktapur we return back to Kathmandu.
Things to know before you go to Chisapani Nagarkot Trek
- Nepali and Non-Nepali visitors need to pay a fee to enter the premises of Shivapuri National Park, and register their names in a logbook.
- Always hike with a guide, for safety if you are on a hike for the for the first time or planning to hike alone so that you can learn about the things you see along the way.
- The hike to Chisapani might be challenging for beginners as you have to ascend uphills to reach chisapani, but manageable for reasonably fit travelers.
- Bring appropriate clothing which depends upon the season you are trekking, and good footwear such as hiking boots along with some required medicines which you may need in the journey.
- Chisapani has a lots of lodges and tea houses to stay. So that won’t be the problem for you after reaching Chisapani.
- Respect the privacy and culture of local people and kindly ask for permission before photographing them or their children.
- Have plenty of water as you will be covering a lot of distance in a day. So, keep yourself hydrated.
- Make sure to manage your Garbages.
What are the mountain Views from Chisapani Nagarkot Trek?
Chisapani and Nagarkot are the prominent spot or popularly known as hill top near to kathmandu valley for witnessing high mountain peaks. Some of the famous peaks which can be witnessed are Langtang ranges, Khumbu ranges, Mount Manaslu,Choyu, Sisa pagma, Gauri Shankar and including world's tallest mountain Mount Everest.
When to go Nagarkot Chisapani Trek?
March-May and September – November is considered as the best season to trek Chisapani Nagarkot. December-januaey is Winter season and is too cold while snowfall can also be experienced on the trail, July - August is rainy Season where trekking is possible, but visibility can be poor throughout the trek due to rain and trekkers might feel slippery throuout the trek.