Upper Mustang Trek (16 Days)
Mustang is the former kingdom of Lo. Located in the north-central region of Nepal and bordering with Tibet in the north. Upper Mustang is also known as “The Forbidden City” as it has only been open to foreigners since 1992. The inflow of tourist is still strictly regulated with a 10 day $500USD permit for all travellers. The region is dry with a cool, semi-arid trans-Himalayan climate. This isolated region has many colourful rock formations, often containing thousands of caves. The people are mainly comprising of Tibetan, Gurung and Thakali people who are very conservative about their culture, tradition and arts. The average number of tourists visiting this region each year is fairly low and many parts are still unexplored.
Upper Mustang trek starts from Pokhara with an early morning mountain flight to Jomsom that will rival many others. You then trek to the entry of Mustang called Kagbeni (2914m). We start our trek from the Holy river of Kali Gandaki and follow them upstream to Lo-Manthang. During your trek you can have opportunities for exploring thousand years old monasteries, caves, arts and architecture of the local tribes and scenic beauty of the region. The trek to Lo-Manthang will pass through the barren and desolate landscape of Mustang, along with a steep rocky trail up and down hills providing panoramic views of Nilgiri, Annapurna, Dhaulagiri and several other majestic peaks.
Day 01: Arrival day (1,300m/4,264 ft)
Day 02: City tour and trek preparation day (1,300m/4,264 ft)
Day 03: Drive to Pokhara (820m/2,690ft)
Day 04: Fly to Jomsom and trek to Kagbeni (2,800m/9,186ft)
Day 05: Trek to Chele (3,050m/10,006ft)
Day 06: Trek to Giling (3,440m/11,286ft)
Day 07: Trek to Charang (3,490m/11,450ft)
Day 08: Trek to Lo-Manthang (3,730m/12,237ft)
Day 09: Explore Day at Lo-Manthang (3,730m/12,237ft)
Day 10: Lo-Manthang to Ghar Gumpa, 4-5 hrs walk
Day 11: Ghar Gumpa to Giling (3806m/12,484ft), 5-6 hrs walk
Day 12: Giling to Chele (3050m/10,004ft), 5-6 hrs walk
Day 13: Chele to Jomsom (2700/8,856ft), 6-7 hrs walk
Day 14: Fly from Jomsom to Pokhara (820m/2,690ft)
Day 15: Drive from Pokhara to Kathmandu, 7-8 hrs drive
Day 16: Departure day
Trip Start Dates
- Airport arrival/departure transfers
- Hotel in Kathmandu with breakfast before and after trek
- Guided sightseeing in Kathmandu
- A farewell Nepali dinner with live culture program
- Hotel in Pokhara with breakfast before and after trek
- Upper Mustang Special Permit
- Annapurna Conservation Area and monument entrance fees
- Three meals a day during trek (B/L/D) prepared at teahouse/lodge.
- Accommodations at teahouse/lodge in the mountains
- English speaking accredited guide
- Staff insurance, salary, food, accommodation and their transportation
- All Land transportation from Kathmandu to Kathmandu
- Half day city tour in Pokhara
- Pokhara to Jomsom return flight including airport tax
- International airfares
- Trekking Equipment
- Major meals, lunch and dinner during your stay in Kathmandu
- Any type of personal expenses, such as alcoholic beverages and drinks, phone and laundry.
- Nepal entry visa fee US$ 30 (duration 60 days from date of issue) – you may easily obtain the visa upon your arrival at Tribhuvan International Airport – Kathmandu.
- Rescue & travel insurance, trip cancellation costs, accident or health emergency, evacuation, loss, theft or damage to baggage and personal effects. We strongly advise you to take out personal travel insurance.
- Tips & Gratuities
Pricing Per Person
2 people minimum are required for the Restricted area permit. If you are a solo traveller please let us know and we can try find another traveller to share your visa.
- 2-4 People -$1790
- 5+ People -$1700